Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Profile Process

All the while I was doing my reporting, I had no idea how I was going to frame this article or what "angle" I was going to take. The idea for the conflict actually came to me while I was writing, and I'm hoping that for my final draft I can structure the piece to support the overarching idea and make the focus more clear from the start. I want to talk about those people who have crazy big ideas but who are limited by circumstances and can only take tiny steps. I had a fun time writing this piece - rather than working from my imagination, I was describing real people, and I was very invested in making the people come across clearly to the reader because they were people I admired.

It was a challenge to take all the raw information that came out of the reporting process and turn it into an article. I had so many great quotes that I couldn't include because they didn't fit into the structure. At the same time, I wanted to build the structure around some of the quotes that I had, so I feel like the article turned into something kind of patchwork-like. But I learned a lot from the process, and I already have ideas for revision!

No comments:

Post a Comment